Nerae Preece Acting Principal

Hello Badger Families and Friends,

Wow! Who would have thought we would be trying remote learning again!?! But, in true Badger style, our community has managed to make learning happen for our kids. I have watched teachers learn before my own eyes. To see the changes that our team have made to the blog and the learning activities has made me feel very proud to work at Badger. I have also noticed the wonderful support, and incredible ideas that our parents have offered to help make learning better. This is such a unique situation that offers all of us a chance to see how we can help our kids learn. Please keep suggesting ideas that you have used to help your child learn better, and always know that we will be glad to help you in any way we can help. We are a team, and teams support each other.

2021 “Step into Prep” Information Session

On Wednesday the 29th of July from 4pm-5pm we will be have a 2021 Prep information session on WebEx (Invite to the WebEx meeting room will be available on our schools website from Wednesday). We ask you to spread the word to any families who are looking for a school for their prep in 2021. Emma Griffiths, Stephanie Eagleton and myself will be hosting, look out on Facebook for details, and flyers will be sent to our local Early Childhood Learning centres today.

Be Safe

You’ll find that this is my mantra for this semester. As you may be aware our school motto is “A Sanctuary for Learning”, and of course our school values are respect, responsibility, pride, integrity, care and support. In addition to these we now have 3 expectations of behaviour “Be Safe, Be Respectful and Be Responsible”. I had some time to think over the holidays, and with so many things that I have to learn to be a principal I decided to break things down into smaller chunks. This semester “Be Safe” is what I am focusing on… so…

Areas that we will be working on with the team are our OHS processes, emergency management plans, understanding how to best look after our buildings and grounds, our student engagement policy (We will need your help with this one!) and whole school language around being safe and supportive. We all know that when we are feeling safe we can be ready for learning. This is why I felt that this one was the most important one to start with. I will keep you posted with how I am travelling with this goal.

Building repairs are coming

Mel and I have been busy in meetings to help organise our building repairs. Last year the state government gave us a significant amount of money to fix our aging buildings. This means that over the next year you will see some repair works happening around the place. They have even offered additional money to fix our roof on our original buildings. Once the roof is fixed we will be able to get our plaster fixed and get our walls freshened with some new paint. It will be nice to have some attention given to our buildings so they will last more decades to come.

Planning for 2021

Currently I am using our computer program called the Student Resource Package to work out different models for our classes for 2021. This gives me the opportunity to predict what will happen to our budget by trying different models for our school. Scott kindly left us in a really good position and it is my goal to make sure that we maintain this the best that I can. There is lots of planning and thinking to be done, but I am excited about this learning.

That’s about it for this week. Stay safe by staying at home.

Nerae Preece (Principal)

MUSIC NEWS

Greetings to our Wonderful School Community,

Music lessons continue online on the Badger Creek Learning Blog. This week the Junior School have been drawing soundscapes, which have been lovely and the senior school have been learning to play chords so that they can play songs on the keyboard or virtual piano. Well done everyone who participated in those lessons this week./ Each week I will be including a quick survey form about how you enjoyed the lessons and giving you an opportunity to make suggestions. This will help me to plan my lessons for the following wee. Please fill those out so that I can make the lessons the best that they can be.

CALLING ALL INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC STUDENTS AND PERFORMERS

OK music crew, let’s liven up assembly with some musical performances. If you would like to prepare and share a performance for assembly, let me know. I am happy to jump onto a webex with you and help you prepare. You can email me on jennifer.legg@education.vic.edu . Can’t wait to hear from you.

I have included a lovely video this week of Kitana playing some chords and making her own melody. Look at the way Kitana is playing chords in her left hand and the melody in her right hand. Very well done Kitana!

Have a great week everyone!

Jenny Legg

Music Teacher

THIS WEEK IN ART

Great Online Learning in Art

We are so lucky to have the amazing Ms. Imberger teaching us art here at Badger Creek. Not only do we have many lovely art works by students around our school corridors, we have had really outstanding online galleries very week in our times of remote learning. So many students are sending in their carefully created works each week, which just shows how much we love it. We even have adults who eagerly await the art lesson so that they can also have a go! Badger Creek certainly does love art!

This week we are trialing having the Gallery in the newsletter instead of the on the Learning Blog. Check out these wonderful Kente Cloth inspired paper weavings.  (Please note that we have endeavored to include all projects. If we missed yours out, just let us know.)

Around the Year Levels 

IN PREP THIS WEEK

A Giggly Start to Term

In Prep, we have had a giggly start to the term! We have been looking at words that rhyme. We had a go at making our own silly rhyming sentences just like the ones we saw in “Piranhas don’t eat bananas” and “Rhyme Cordial”. This was lots of fun.

We have also enjoyed creating teen number addition stories in Maths. We are getting so good at using stories to build numbers.

Check out Ellie Smiths rhyme and the Brian Fish she made!

IN GRADE 1 / 2 THIS WEEK

SOME CHALLENGING WORK IN NUMERACY

This week in Grade ½ we had a challenging numeracy task for our students to complete. We gave them some clues and they needed to guess the number. Check out some of the terrific work we received. We noticed how work was set out neatly and some students wrote many possibilities to guess the number. Well done everyone for having a go!

Eli Keath 1/2 A

Nyharlia 1/2 B

Elodie 1/2 C

IN GRADE 3 / 4 THIS WEEK

In 3/4 this week, we have been focused on inferring; the things you know about a text by reading between the lines. Procedural texts and the different ways you can make the /j/ sound in English. In Mathematics we are learning about division, and in Inquiry, the ‘Global Village’. We have loved seeing all our students’ faces online and look forward to another fantastic week next week!

Rashidi’s work

Ashleigh working from home

IN GRADE 5 / 6 THIS WEEK

Helping Each Other Learn in 5/6

The first week of remote learning has seen 5/6 students writing a letter to a classmate to review a book they’ve read recently, in addition to revising the skill of making and adjusting predictions whilst reading. Writing sessions have been exploring word choice, specifically exploring the use of verbs and how a thesaurus can be used to find synonyms that better convey the intended meaning. Our topic for maths began as perimeter (1D measurement) and has now transitioned into area (2D) with some students estimating and calculating the surface area of an entire room (floor + walls + ceiling). And finally, as we begin to explore our Inquiry unit of Global Village, students have been selecting a country for each letter of the alphabet and researching the relevant capital cities, continents, population statistics and flag for each. Well done 5/6s – what a way to start third term.

Global Village work by Rosie

SCHOOL NEWS

UPDATING OF INFORMATION:

Badger Creek Families, please be aware an email has been sent through in regards to updating of information.

We understand not everyone had the chance to return the forms at the end of last term and so thought an email would hopefully be as affective.

We want to ensure our records are true, so please respond to the email to confirm if there are any updates, or just to confirm all information is correct.

If you do have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the office via phone or email.

P: 59 624 019  E: badger.creek.ps@education.vic.gov.au

School uniform orders:

Please find below the link for the school uniform orders.

http://www.aplusschoolwear.com.au/SearchResult.aspx?Labels=BADGER%20CREEK

All orders are to be completed through the website.

JOKE OF THE WEEK

Q: What did the grape say when the elephant stood on it?

A: Nothing, just gave a little whine

Charlotte